17th Annual DWR Champagne Chair Contest™
Make a chair, make a difference
Raise a glass to the DWR Champagne Chair Contest! This year’s edition comes with all the cork-popping fun of past contests along with a special opportunity to make a difference for artists in need.
For each entry, Herman Miller Cares is donating $50 to Artist Relief, a charitable initiative providing financial help to artists during the pandemic. The more entries, the more artists are helped.
Presented in partnership with Champagne Pommery.
How to enter the contest:
Create a chair using only the foil, label, cap, cage, and cork from no more than two ( 2 ) champagne bottles. The chair can be your own original design or a likeness of a chair offered in DWR’s assortment.
Take a picture using a blank sheet of white paper as your background. ( Follow our photo guidelines below for an optimal picture. ) Make sure your image is sharp and really shows off the details of your chair.
Upload a photo of your chair to this page between November 1 and January 5, 2021, or post to Instagram with the tags @designwithinreach and #dwrchampagnechair.
• Use any or all of the materials ( except glass ) from no more than two ( 2 ) bottles of champagne, sparkling wine, or sparkling cider, any brand. If you wish to be considered for the Pommery Prize, use materials from Pommery brand champagne bottles. Glue is the only permitted adhesive, and it must be used as an adhesive not as a building material that can be carved or shaped. You are not permitted to use any additional materials – including tape or paint.
• Cork sheeting is not allowed. If you think the construction of your chair might be mistaken for cork sheeting, please take photos while making your chair. Finalists may be asked to provide proof of construction methods.
• The chair must measure no more than 4″ x 4″ x 4″.
• Call for entries begins November 1, 2020. Entries must be received before midnight ET on January 5, 2021.
• Twenty ( 20 ) chairs will be selected as finalists: ten ( 10 ) from the Most Original category and ten ( 10 ) from the Best Likeness category. If your chair is one of those, you’ll be asked to send it to DWR. One chair from among the finalists will be selected to receive the Pommery Prize providing it meets entry requirements for that prize. All submitted chairs will become the property of DWR.
• Contest is open to legal residents of the U.S. and District of Columbia who are 21 or older.
• Only one ( 1 ) submission is allowed per person.
• Grab a piece of plain white paper.
• Head toward moderate sunlight.
• Hold paper to create curved backdrop.
• Place chair on paper.
• Snap a picture. Make sure it’s crisp and clear and that it captures your chair’s best angle.
Winning chairs will be featured on dwr.com.
Most Original Prizes
1st place: $1,000 DWR Gift Card
2nd place: $750 DWR Gift Card
3rd place: $500 DWR Gift Card
Best Likeness Prize
Grand Prize: $1,000 DWR Gift Card
One ( 1 ) Jeroboam ( 3L bottle ) of Champagne Pommery Brut Royal. Approximate retail value $250 USD. One ( 1 ) finalist will be selected to win. To be eligible, you must use materials from Pommery brand champagne bottles and follow @champagnepommery on Instagram.
See Official Rules.
The entries are coming in!
Upload one or two photos of your chair from your computer, phone, or Facebook or Instagram media libraries. Be sure to enter your name, email, and caption with the name of your chair. Or, tag us on Instagram and include the tags @DesignWithinReach and #DWRChampagneChair to enter.
- 17th Annual DWR Champagne Chair ContestThe 17th Annual DWR Champagne Chair Contest is now open for submissions. Entrants are challenged to create a miniature version of an iconic chair or original of their own - using only the foil, label, cage and cork from no more than two champagne bottles. For each entry, Herman Miller Cares will donate $50 to Artist Relief, a charitable initiative providing financial help to artists during the COVID-19 pandemic. The deadline for submissions is January 5, 2021. https://www.dwr.com/champagnechair.html