2021 Beatrice Warde Scholarship Competition
Deadline February 26
Female undergraduate design students everywhere in the world are encouraged to apply!
Find the application and related information here.
Application deadline: February 26, 2021.
The Beatrice Warde Scholarship recognizes one female-identifying college student in their penultimate year of undergraduate study, whose work demonstrates exceptional talent, sophistication, and skill in the use of typography across current media, not just print. It is awarded for a completing 3-year degree, penultimate year is the second year of study, or if a student is completing a 4-year degree, the penultimate year is the third year of study, beginning September 2021 and concluding in May 2022.
Monotype and the Type Directors Club sponsor the scholarship, which is named in honor of Beatrice Warde ( 1900–1969 ). During her career at the Monotype Corporation, Warde championed education in typography and, through her numerous essays, books, articles, and lectures, spread understanding of type.
Students who are enrolled in their junior undergraduate year anywhere in the world may apply for this $5,000 scholarship, which will be applied to their senior year tuition. The senior year must begin in September 2021 and conclude in June 2022.
Gail Anderson | School of Visual Arts and Anderson + Newton
Deborah Gonet | Monotype
Shelley Gruendler | Type Camp
Ralitsa Debrah | Kwane University ( KNUST ), Ghana
Rathna Ramanathan | Royal Academy of Art
Fiona Ross | Reading University
Mariko Takagi | Hong Kong Baptist University
Here are links to stories about some the previous recipients:
- 2020: Tatiana López, Universidad Technológica de El Salvador
- 2019: Blossom Liu, ArtCenter College of Design
- 2018: Anna Skoczeń, Jan Matejko Academy of Fine Arts, Kraków, Poland
- 2017: Tasnima Tanzim, Rhode Island School of Design, USA
- 2016: Ania Wieluńska, Academy of Fine Arts, Warsaw, Poland
- 2015: Rebecca Bartola, Central Saint Martins, London
The scholarship winner will be invited to receive her certificate at the Type Directors Club annual awards evening in New York in July 2021.
The Monotype brand has been synonymous with type for more than 125 years. Today, Monotype is home to some of the world’s most widely used typefaces, seen everywhere on devices, the web, and in print. Beatrice Warde’s dedication and enthusiasm for typography during her career at Monotype is still widely admired, almost 49 years after her time there.
The Type Directors Club sets the standards of typographical excellence in advertising, design and publishing, and hopes that the scholarship will encourage talented students to develop a love for typography and an appreciation of the significance of typography in the design process.
Good luck to those of you who decide to apply, and we hope everyone else will spread the word about this terrific opportunity!
Type Directors Club
- Type Directors Club 2021 ScholarshipsThe Type Directors Club is now calling for entries for its two annual scholarship programs that recognize excellence in female-identifying and BIPOC students. "TDC works to amplify the power and influence of typography in the cultural landscape," commented Bobby C. Martin, Jr., founding partner, Champions Design, and TDC board member. "These two scholarships were created to bring more women and BIPOC designers into the field and thereby make it better." https://www.tdc.org/