2021 Penguin Student Design Award
Your chance to win £1,000 in prize money as well as a work placement in the Penguin Random House Design Studios*
The Penguin Student Design Award, now in its 15th year, aims to discover and nurture the next generation of design and illustration talent.
Each year we give you the opportunity to experience real cover design briefs first-hand across a choice of non-fiction, fiction and children’s titles. Three emerging creatives then win £1,000 in prize money as well as a work placement* at Penguin Random House UK.
To enter, select the category you would like to submit an entry for, read the brief and get designing!
*The provision of a work placement prize shall be subject to any corporate policies, government guidelines, laws or other recommendations issued or in force at the time as a result of the COVID 19 pandemic or otherwise.
The competition is open to anyone studying on a Further Education or Higher Education course – part time or full time, in any subject and at any level at the time of the deadline for entries ( Tuesday 2 March 2021 ).
Entrants must be aged 18 or over by 1 July 2021. The competition is not open to graphic design professionals. Students may enter a maximum of one design in each of the three categories. See the Terms and Conditions for full details of entry requirements.
All entries must be submitted digitally via our submissions form.
To make the process even more similar to the way our designers work, once the judges have selected the shortlist, the Art Directors will email the shortlisted entrants with individual feedback and further art direction on their cover designs.
To proceed to the next stage of the competition, shortlisted students will be required to resubmit their work, taking the Art Directors’ comments into consideration, before the final round of judging. See our submission details for the support material you will be required to submit.
This year our three briefs are:
Student Design Award 2021 categories
- Form open for entries – Wednesday 2 December 2020
- Closing date for entries – 2.00 p.m. on Tuesday 2 March 2021
- Shortlist announcement – Tuesday 27 April 2021
- Closing date for shortlisted student’s final submissions – Wednesday 12 May 2021
- Winners announced – June 2021
A letter from Tom Weldon, Penguin Random House CEO
‘Standout cover design is an integral part of the success of a book and Penguin Random House has created thousands of iconic book covers throughout the years. The vital role of illustrators and designers in the production of some of the world’s best-loved adult and children’s books has created and defined the identity of our UK publishing lists.
We value creativity and design incredibly highly, and started the Penguin Random House Student Design Award fifteen years ago to encourage the next generation of designers to use their amazing talents to help us tell our authors’ stories.
I am always impressed with the quality of submissions and I look forward to seeing what this year’s talent has to offer.’
- Penguin Student Design Award 2021The Penguin Student Design Award, now in its 15th year, aims to discover and nurture the next generation of design and illustration talent. Each year Penguin Random House gives students the opportunity to experience real cover design briefs first-hand across a choice of non-fiction, fiction and children's titles. Three emerging creatives then win £1,000 in prize money as well as a paid work placement at Penguin Random House UK. https://www.penguin.co.uk/company/work-with-us/student-design-award/student-design-award.html