2021 RGD In-House Design Awards
This biannual Awards Program acknowledges the work done by ever-growing creative teams that work as internal agencies in Canada and around the world.
The 2021 Awards are open for entries.
Submit by the deadline of June 18 ( or enter by May 28 to save on entry fees! )
What to Submit
What to Enter?
What to Submit
Internal Creative Teams are invited to submit examples of work into any of the following areas:
- branding ( incl. LOGO, letterhead, brand standards; identity program )
- interactive ( incl. websites, apps, user interface )
- promotion ( incl. social media, advertising, posters, invitations, direct mail )
- print & digital publications ( incl. newsletters, reports, brochures, books, ebooks, e-newsletters )
- environmental ( incl. signs, wayfinding, tradeshow booths, vehicle wraps, exhibits )
- film & video ( incl. presentations, motion graphics )
- misc ( incl. infographics, apparel, labels )
- cross-media campaign/program
– Entrants may submit up to 6 files per entry ( 10 MB per file ).
– Image file formats should be .jpg or .pdf no smaller than 3” for the shortest dimension at 300 dpi.
– Website/related interactive entries should include screen captures based on above specs and/or the url where the site/work is live.
– Video entry formats are: .mov or .mp4. Include screen captures or still images based on above specs.
Entrants must describe:
– What were the primary objectives of the project and how these were met through the design? ( 200 or less )
– Describe any challenges ( ie. lack of resources, limited budget, accessibility requirements ) and how your team was able to solve them. ( 250 words or less )
– Describe how this project was a success. Outline any measurable results that were achieved for your organization. ( 250 words or less )
Can I submit a collage of images of my newsletter/catalogue etc., or can I submit the whole file?
Entrants may submit the file in its entirety as long as it does not exceed our 10 MB per file limit. If the file exceeds the 10 MB limit, entrants can upload a ZIP file, upload via Dropbox or link to a downloadable file.
If my team is submitting screen grabs of an interactive project, does each photo count as one of the six entries?
If submitted as jpegs, each photo would count as one of the six file submissions. If this poses an issue, you can create a PDF document of screen grabs and submit up to six of these.
“The RGD In-house awards has increased our Design studio team’s profile by receiving recognition across our Canadian offices for the Awards we have won in past years. We display our Awards with pride!” Donna Graffi-Smith RGD, Manager of Graphic Design at Deloitte Canada
– Demonstrate to your employer the value of the work you do.
– Compete against other in-house designers who face the same challenges and constraints.
– Be judged by in-house design managers who understand what it takes to work in-house and do great work.
– Demonstrate that great design ( and ultimately design effectiveness ) is often the result of deep brand knowledge and continuous client collaboration, both vital strengths of in-house designers.
– Help the RGD to celebrate the amazing work being done in-house ( which will in turn help us understand your challenges better and program events and content relevant to your experiences. )
– Winners will receive a free ticket to DesignThinkers Virtual 2021 and promotion of their winning project at the Conference
– Winners will be profiled on the RGD website and across RGD communication channels including an email newsletter distributed to over 24,000
– Winning entries appear in a printed Awards Annual distributed to over 2,000
– Winners have the opportunity to purchase a physical award
Eligibility + Fees
Who may enter?
– Anyone working in Canada or internationally as part of an internal creative team whether within a company, government, non-profit, charity, institution or other type of organization where graphic design is not the main service offered by the organization.
Timing of Projects
– Any work created after January 1, 2017 and before June 18, 2021 may be entered.
*Pricing in Canadian Dollars. For US Exchange rate, click here
Before May 28, 2021
1-3 entries: $65 each; 4 or more entries: $40 each
After May 28, 2021
1-3 entries: $80 each; 4 or more entries: $65 each
Before May 28, 2021
1-3 entries: $95 each; 4 or more entries: $80 each
After May 28, 2021
1-3 entries: $115 each; 4 or more entries: $95 each
Enter for FREE!
– Team Members of RGD can enter 3 entries FREE; Additional entries: $50 each
– An in-house communications project that directly relates to the COVID-19 pandemic can be entered FREE. All entries will be automatically considered for the Moveable Power of Design Award.
Can I submit entries for my design team, or do we need to submit everything individually?
Design teams are encouraged to submit their work! If a team has one or more RGD Members, the project( s ) were worked on by the RGD Member( s ) and they’re listed in the credits, the project can be submitted under the RGD fee. If not, the project( s ) fall under the Non-Member category.
Design Director at 48North in Toronto, ON
Creative Lead at Emily Carr University of Art + Design in Vancouver, BC
Manager of Digital Experience Operations at Alberta Blue Cross in Spruce Grove, AB
Executive Creative Director, Integrated Marketing Communications, University of Toronto in Toronto, ON
Creative Director of INDOCHINO in Vancouver, BC
Creative Director of Design, Rogers Sports & Media in Toronto, ON
formerly Senior Manager, Design and Advertising for Penguin Random House Canada in Toronto, ON
Head of Creative Shop at Facebook and Instagram, Canada in Toronto, ON
Senior Graphic Designer at The Regional Municipality of York in Newmarket, ON
Senior Graphic Designer at Cloudli Communications in Montreal, QC
VP of Design at LaunchGood in Markham, ON
Director of Communications & Marketing, Bearhill Brewing Co in Calgary, AB
The growth and development of the in-house design community represents an important shift in the recognition of the value of design for business.
Organizations are increasingly aware of the significant advantage provided by in-house creative teams, who are able to understand and serve organizational goals and communicate with relevant audiences in a way that exceeds the capabilities of an outside agency.
In 2019, RGD received 300 entries from across North America. The 50 winning projects represent a range of industry sectors from municipal government to post-secondary education, broadcast media to museums, retail to manufacturing.
Join now as an RGD Team Member to receive 3 free entries!
Also, all entries submitted that involve communications related to the COVID-19 global pandemic receive free entry. All entries will be automatically considered for the Moveable Power of Design Award.
Questions? Email email@example.com
- RGD In-House Design Awards 2021The Association of Registered Graphic Designers' (RGD) In-House Design Awards recognizes the excellence of internal creative agencies leveraging effective communication design to achieve the goals of the companies, governments, nonprofits and other organizations and institutions they work for. https://www.rgd.ca/events-and-programs/in-house-awards/index