2022 Golden Turtle Photo Contest
Competition Stages, Rules and Organizers
The organizer and the right holder of the Golden Turtle Contest, exhibitions and all facilities and events related thereto is the MY EQUATOR Charity Social Support Fund.
Anyone may submit his/her works to participate in the competition, except for the competition organizers and the professional jury members. Authors from any countries can participate in the contest without restrictions. The official competition languages are Russian and English.
Decisions to award the Semi-Finalist, Finalist or Winner statuses to artwork shall be made by members of the Professional Jury and the Jury of Peers and may not be appealed.
Author (photographer)shall mean a person who made a photograph and presents his/her work to the competition, has full copyrights and powers to decide on all organizational issues related to the participation of the work in the competition.
Photography (work, picture, image)shall mean a picture taken by a photocamera that complies with the competition conditions and is owned by the author.
Graphics editor shall mean any computer program (Adobe Photoshop, Apertura, CorelPhoto-Paint, etc.) that was applied for the digital processing of a photograph.
RAW. The RAW format shall mean any data obtained directly from a matrice without processing. This format shall confirm the authenticity and integrity of a frame. For any frames made by film cameras, an additional procedure for providing the original will be announced.
THE “GOLDEN TURTLE” INTERNATIONAL WILDLIFE FESTIVAL ETHICAL STANDARDS
Based on the ethical code of the International League of Concervation Photographers (ILCP)
We believe that all the participants of the GOLDEN TURTLE International Wildlife Festival and its photo contest should put ethical treatment of nature and animals in the center of their art. We encourage each author to be an example and a rolemodel for ethical behavior and professionalism for other photographers and wildlife lovers.
To achieve the goals of the Festival and its creative competitions, the following ETHICAL STANDARDS were adopted:
1. Minimal possible interference in the life of animals and their habitats
We always place the welfare of our subjects above all else. Key to this is the maintenance of safe, informed and responsible working distances and minimizing our impact on the landscape by following the “Leave No Trace – Pack It In, Pack it Out” ethic that maintains the integrity and character of the places we work.
2. Use of Captive Animals
In some cases, photographing captive animals can be a valuable source of rare imagery that can be valuable for specific conservation goals. However, the use of captive animals must be governed by the same ethical considerations as elsewhere:
- The welfare of the animal should be paramount.
- Any institution that exploits animals solely for profit should not be utilized or supported.
- Images of captive animals will be honestly and accurately captioned and never represented as wild.
3. Digital Manipulation
Image manipulation must never alter essential content in such a way that it either misrepresents actual events, or deceives the intended audience, in any context in which the truth of the image is assumed.
Creative manipulation, when performed, must be fully disclosed to the end user.
4. Truth in Captioning
Photographs deliver information, which should be both accurate and honest. Inaccurate or dishonest captioning reduces the effectiveness of the image as a tool for conservation, subverts its message and undermines public trust.
The main stages of the contest
- Completion of the artwork registration 28.02.2022
- Completion of the preliminary selection 31.03.2022
- Receiving originals and RAW-files 01.04.2022 – 13.04.2022
- Semi-finals 14.04.2022 – 20.04.2022
- Additional check by the expert commission 21.04.2022 – 27.04.2022
- Finals 28.04.2022 – 07.05.2022
- Special nominations 08.05.2022 – 15.05.2022
- Award Ceremony – Autumn 2022
- Exhibition in Moscow – Autumn 2022
Authors and Works Registration
The authors and the works shall be registered at the Golden Turtle Competition web-site in the respective section by a special form.
Carrying out the Registration procedure by filling out a web form on the website http://www.wncontest.ru/, the Participant confirms that he has read and agrees to the terms of the Consent to the processing of personal dataand has accepted the obligations indicated therein.
The author shall complete the registration procedure, then he/she is given a login and a password that are sent to the e-mail address specified in the course of registration.
Then, the author may begin to upload his/her own artwork, edit it, delete it, etc.
At the beginning of the registration, the author shall choose the nomination to present his/her work in.
Then, the author shall upload the works subject to the technical requirements.
To participate in the competition, the author shall provide the following information on his/her work:
- Author’s name;
- Description of the shooting conditions containing no less than a 200 symbols (the shooting idea, features of interest, difficulties of the process, specific behaviour of the subject);
- Description of the device used (the camera model, the lens, the name of any other equipment may be specified optionally);
- The shooting parameters (optical exposure, aperture, photo sensibility, etc.);
- The species of the animal in the picture.
- The author may submit to the competition no more than 20 works.
- One photograph may be presented in one nomination only.
- No images of pets and livestock (cats, dogs, mice, rabbits, sheep, horses and other domesticated animals) are accepted to participate in the competition.
- Laureates, winners of other competitions can participate in the competition, but will not be able to participate in prize final voting.
- Frames from the video are not accepted to participate in the competition.
- Focus stacking is permissible.
The “GOLDEN TURTLE” Photo Contest Technical Requirements and Image Processing Rules
The “GOLDEN TURTLE” photo contest is a competition in the art of photography, not image processing, so the results of correction should not change the captured reality, nor prevail over the authenticity of the picture taken.
Moreover, since there is a number of hard to formalized criteria in the processing of images, even by the use of classical means, the Technical Expert of the Festival reserves the right to prevent the artwork from getting into the finals in case correctional methods, technically permitted in these Requirements, were used excessively.
Technical requirements for images submitted in PREVIEW format
(Stages: artwork registration, preliminary selection, semi-finals):
- The image format is JPEG.
- Dimensions: for horizontal works – 1400 pixels horizontally; for vertical works – 1400 pixels vertically.
- The file size should not exceed 1 MB.
- The name of the image file must correspond with the name of the artwork (for example, the work “Black Bear” should be saved as Black_bear.jpg).
- To ensure correct color reproduction, you must embed the work profile in the exported file by selecting the appropriate option when saving the image.
Technical requirements for images submitted upon request from the Organizers after entering the finals
(Stages: finals, expert assessment and printing):
- The format of the provided images is JPEG (with the maximum quality of compression), TIFF.
- Processed images must be accompanied by the original RAW file for the needs of technical expertise.
- The name of the image file must correspond with the name of the artwork (for example, the work “Black Bear” should be saved as Black_bear.jpg).
- The size of the work should allow printing in at least the 80×120 cm size with a resolution of 240 dpi. If the image size is not sufficient to maintain the proper quality for exhibition size printing (80х120 cm), it is not recommended to “stretch” the image by use of the editing programs. In case of artwork moving into the finals, such processing will be conducted under the guidance of the Festival Technical Expert.
- To ensure correct color reproduction, you must embed the workspace profile in the exported file by selecting the appropriate option when saving the image.
- Photos shot with the camera in JPEG cannot get into the semifinal of the competition.
List of ALLOWED methods of digital image processing by the use of editing programs:
- Technical retouching, including changing exposure, contrast, saturation, sharpness and white balance.
- Small background corrections to remove random objects. For example, the author at the time of shooting was not able to notice the alien object or the photograph was taken from the only possible angle, which did not allow the removal of the extra element from the frame.
- Cropping. The use of this technique is limited by the requirements for the size of the final result described in paragraph 4 of the Technical Requirements.
- Creating “stitched” panoramas. All panorama frames must be shot with the same lens. The Technical Expert of the Festival reserves the right to prevent the artwork from getting into the finals in case the panoramas are low-quality.
- Creation of HDR-files visually not differing from the traditional photo. The use of this method is only permitted to expand the dynamic range in shooting complex scenes.
- Conversion of the image into black and white, subject to all the rules described in these requirements.
List of PROHIBITED methods of digital image processing by the use of editing programs:
- Image processing leading to fundamental changes in the nature of lighting in the scene.
- Creating color and/or brightness contrasts and relations that did not exist in the original image or the destruction of the existing ones.
- Montage and composition, including adding, deleting, moving the objects.
- Adding additional graphic elements, including signs, frames, vignettes, etc.
- Creation of HDR-files with quality defects, including violation of global and local contrasts with pronounced “halo”, ratio violations, violations of color and brightness contrasts, etc.
In case a work becomes a semi-finalist, the work shall be assigned the semi-finalist status and the author shall be sent an email of the status assignment and a request to submit the RAW file and the large format of the file submitted to the competition, specially prepared for printing.
The files shall be submitted within 14 calendar days from the date of sending the respective letter.
The author shall provide the organizers with the files through a special form in his/her personal online account.
If it is not possible to prepare a quality image for the exhibition, the work shall not be displayed but shall remain a finalist.
The work originals shall be used by the organizers for various purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Printing of photographs required for the work of the jury;
- Preparing the final photo album (each author whose work(s) is(are) presented in the photo album is entitled to receive One (1) author’s copy of the album);
- Preparing exhibition copies of the artwork;
- Making an archive of the competition finalists, etc.
Reasons for Refusal
A work shall not be accepted to participate in the Golden Turtle Photo Contest, if:
- The work does not meet the requirements specified in these Regulations;
- The experts, the jury members and the organizers have a reason to believe that the picture was taken by cruel and unethical methods of treating animals;
- The work description includes foul language;
- The frame is a compilation of several frames (except for cross-linked panoramic pictures allowed in the Landscape nomination);
- Shooting was made in a zoo or other similar places (except for the Man and Nature nomination);
- The presented frame is an awardee/winner of other major wildlife photography competitions.
The competition organizers reserve the right not to accept any works that are not of a certain qualitative and technical level, without specifying a reason.
The author should be the right holder of the works they submit. By submitting their works to the Golden Turtle competition, the author agrees with the terms and conditions of the Lisence Agreement.
The participant warrants that his/her work does not infringe intellectual rights of any third parties. In case any third parties make any claims, the participant shall be fully liable for his/her work.
Exhibition copies that are printed at the expense of the Golden Turtle Competition organizers for displaying at the exhibition shall remain with the organizers and may be used by them for the statutory activities of the MY EQUATOR Charity Social Support Fund.
Stages, responsible parties, deadlines and rules for assessing the artwork
Stage 1 — Registration of works
Done by:the administration of the photo contest; online
Timeframe:from December 01, 2021 until February 28, 2022
Rules:Done based on the approved and published standards (see: http://www.wncontest.ru/en/photo/rules/). All selected works receive the REGISTERED status (a.k.a. accepted into the competition). The authors are notified of the status update.
Deliverable:an image bank of registered artwork
Stage 2 — Preliminary selection
Done by:the members of the Jury of Peers; online
Timeframe:March 01-31, 2022
- The Jury of Peers is formed from the competition finalists of the past years (20-30 people in each nomination), as well as the experts, who have declined the offer to join the professional jury, and preferred to submit their artwork to the contest as participants.
- Participation in the Jury of Peers does not prevent the members from submitting their artwork to the contest as participants.
- The assessment is based on a 3-point scale and is carried out in the member’s private online account.
- The highest and lowest scores for each photo are not included in the final score.
- The members of the Jury of Peers have an opportunity to change their assessments during the entire pre-selection period.
- The members of the Jury of Peers do not have the opportunity to evaluate their own photos. Instead, the average score from the ratings of this photo of other members of the Jury of Peers is added to the score.
- Based on the assessment results, the system automatically generates a TOP-100 list in each nomination out of the works, that received the highest total score according to the results of the assessment by all the members of the Jury of Peers.
- The selected works receive the SEMI-FINALISTS status; authors are notified of the status update and receive a request to provide the full-size files (original artwork), the source files (RAW files) and the text descriptions of their works. All information received is published in the Jury of Peers members’ private online accounts.
- The organizers of the Festival may decide to change the nomination for the works that received the highest score (in the event that the author was mistaken with the choice of the nomination).
Deliverable:an image bank of the TOP-100 works in each nomination, published in the professional jury members’ private online accounts
Stage 3 — SEMIFINALS
Done by:the members of the professional jury; online
Timeframe:April 14-20, 2022
- A professional jury (5 to 11 people) is formed out of professional photographers, winners and runner-ups of international photo contests.
- Participation in the professional jury does not allow its members to participate in the competition as authors by submitting their artwork.
- The assessment is based on a 5-point scale and is carried out in the member’s private online accounts.
- The highest and lowest scores for each photo are not included in the final score.
- One of the members of the professional jury is announced as the Chairman of the jury, whose tasks include analyzing the semifinal voting of other members of the jury and finding out the reasons for the very different scores of individual members of the jury from others.
- The results of the assessment of each member of the professional jury are published in the member’s private online accounts of the contest semifinalists (the authors can only see the scores of the their own artwork).
- Based on the target number of finalists for exhibiting during the Festival (the decision is made annually by the organizers of the Festival), a “passing score” is established in every nomination.
Deliverable:the preliminary list of the finalists (100-150 photos), published in the expert commission member’s private online accounts
Stage 4 — ADDITIONAL CHEK BY THE EXPERT COMMISSION
Done by:the members of the expert commission; online
Timeframe:April 21-27, 2022
- All works in each nomination that have received a “passing score” and above undergo an additional check by the expert commission of well-known biologists and experts in the field of professional photo processing (2-3 people) to establish compliance with the ethical standards of interaction with the subject of photography and non-excessive use of photo editing software.
- After passing this verification, all works in each nomination that have received a “passing score” and above become the finalists.
- The authors are notified of the status update; the works are published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts without the scores assigned during the previous stages of selection.
Deliverable:the list of the finalists (100-150 photos), published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts
Stage 5 — THE FINALS
Done by:by members of the professional jury; online
Timeframe:April 28 – May 07, 2022
- The winners are determined through the use of the double-rating system.
- Each of the members of the professional jury forms their personal TOP-3 rating of the best works in each nomination (1st place = 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points, 2rd place = 1 point).
- The system automatically selects 3 works that have received the maximum number of votes from the members of the professional jury in each nomination, and forms a separate list of works that were included in the jury’s TOP-3 lists the most. If these lists coincide with each other, these works subsequently become the winners of the “gold”, “silver” and “bronze” awards. In the event that these lists do not coincide, additional voting is taken amongst the works slotted for the 3 top swards. In the event that several works have received an equal number of votes, an additional vote is taken on them by all members of the professional jury.
- Authors of artwork that has won in one or more nominations, as well as authors who won in two or more nominations themselves, are nominated for the Photographer of the Year award.
- The winner of the Photographer of the Year award is voted on by the members of the professional jury.
Deliverable:a list of winners of the “gold”, “silver” and “bronze” awards in each nomination, as well as the winner of the “Photographer of the Year” award (if established), published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts
Stage 5 — Special nominations
Done by:the partners of the Festival, who have established special nominations
Timeframe:May 08-15, 2022
- The partners of the Festival, who have opted for an appropriate sponsorship package, has the right to establish their own nominations (upon approval from the organizers of the Festival).
- After the final selections are finished by the members of the professional jury, the partners of the Festival get access to all the finalists that did not become winners in the basic nominations and pick the works they wish to award (the level of access depends on the nomination).
Deliverable:an additional list of winners in the special nominations
The competition winners who won first place in their nomination will obtain a cash prize of one thousand US dollars (USD 1,000).
- SPECIAL PRIZES
The laureates who won the second and the third places in their nomination will obtain valuable prizes and gifts from the Festival sponsors and partners.
The competition winner in the Photographer of the Year nomination will obtain a cash prize of two thousand US dollars (USD 2,000).
On general issues
Golden Turtle Contest相關競賽：
- 2022 Golden Turtle Art Contest2022 Golden Turtle Art Contest The competition winners who won first place in their nomination will obtain a cash prize of one thousand US dollars (USD 1,000)
- 2022 Golden Turtle ECO-Posters Contest2022 Golden Turtle ECO-Posters Contest The competition winners who won first place in their nomination will obtain a cash prize of one thousand US dollars (USD 1,000)
- 2022 Golden Turtle Photo Contest2022 Golden Turtle Photo Contest The competition winner in the Photographer of the Year nomination will obtain a cash prize of two thousand US dollars (USD 2,000)
- Golden Turtle 2018 Wildlife Photography CompetitionNOMINATIONS The Portrait of the Animal Photos of any wild animals in close-up. In this n...
- 2022第15届俄罗斯金龟国际野生自然节创意大赛金龟2022开放报名！ 金龟2022创意比赛的报名已于2021年12月1日正式拉开帷幕，并将持续至2022年2月28日。 如欲报名参加创意比赛，请浏览 Http://www.wncontest.ru/en/ 金龟节是最大的国际生态教育项目，汇集了摄影师、设计师和艺术家，共同庆祝野生动物的美丽。 参赛对象 比赛对任何人开放。 比赛阶段、规则和组织者 该比赛是俄罗斯金龟节的一部分，由 MY EQUATOR Charity Social Support Fund 组织。 任何人均可提交作品参加比赛，但竞赛组织者及专业评审团成员除外。来自任何国家的作者都可以不受限制地参加比赛。正式比赛语言是俄语和英语。 对作品授予半决赛、决赛或获奖者地位的决定应由专业评审团成员和同行评审团作出，不得上诉。 基本概念 作者(摄影师)指制作照片并向竞赛展示其作品的人，有充分的版权和权力就与作品参与竞赛有关的所有组织问题作出决定。 摄影(作品、图片、图像)指符合比赛条件并由作者所有的摄影相机拍摄的照片。 图形编辑器是指任何计算机程序(AdobePhotoshop、Apertura、CorelPhoto-Pay等)。用于照片的数字处理。 生的。原始格式是指未经处理直接从原料中获取的任何数据。此格式应确认帧的真实性和完整性。对于由胶片相机制作的任何帧，将宣布提供原件的附加程序。 三项竞赛 PHOTO ECO-POSTERS ART 参赛类别 环境中的动物 动物的肖像 动物行为 缩影 水下世界 艺术与自然的形象 景观 植物魔法 人与自然 保留俄罗斯 移动摄影 年轻人眼中的自然 儿童眼中的自然 “金龟”国际野生动物节伦理标准 根据国际协和摄影师联盟(ILCP)的道德准则 我们认为，所有参加金龟国际野生动物节及其摄影比赛的人，都应该把善待自然和动物放在艺术的中心。我们鼓励每一位作者成为其他摄影师和野生动物爱好者道德行为和专业精神的榜样和榜样。 为实现艺术节及其创作竞赛的目标，采取了以下道德标准： 1.尽可能减少对动物及其生境的干扰 我们总是把我们的臣民的福利放在第一位。这方面的关键是保持安全、知情和负责任的工作距离，并尽量减少我们对景观的影响，方法是遵循“不留下痕迹--把它打包”的道德准则，以保持我们工作场所的完整性和个性。 2.使用圈养动物 在某些情况下，拍摄圈养动物可能是珍贵图像的宝贵来源，这对于特定的保护目标是有价值的。然而，对圈养动物的使用必须遵循与其他地方相同的伦理考虑： 动物的福利应该是至高无上的。 任何只为牟利而利用动物的机构，不应加以利用或支持。 圈养动物的形象将诚实和准确的标题，从来没有表示为野生。 3.数字操纵 图像操纵绝不能以这样一种方式改变本质内容，即在任何假设图像真相的环境中，它要么歪曲实际事件，要么欺骗预期的受众。 创造性的操作，当执行时，必须充分披露给最终用户。 4.字幕中的真相 照片提供的信息应该是准确和诚实的。不准确或不诚实的标题降低了作为保护工具的形象的有效性，颠覆了它的信息并破坏了公众的信任。 比赛的主要阶段 完成艺术品注册28.02.2022 完成初步甄选31.03.2022 接收原件和原始文件01.04.2022-13.04.2022 半决赛14.04.2022-20.04.2022 专家委员会的补充检查21.04.2022-27.04.2022 决赛28.04.2022-07.05.2022 特别提名08.05.2022-15.05.2022 颁奖典礼-2022年秋季 莫斯科展览-2022年秋季 作者及作品注册 作者和作品应以特殊的形式在金龟子比赛的网页上以特殊的形式注册。 在网站上填写网页表格，办理登记手续Http://www.wncontest.ru/，参加者确认他已阅读并同意同意处理个人资料并已接受其中规定的义务。 作者应完成注册程序，然后给他/她一个登录和密码发送到登记过程中指定的电子邮件地址。 然后，作者可以开始上传自己的作品，编辑，删除，等等。 在登记开始时，提交人应选择提名人介绍他/她的工作。 然后，作者应上传符合技术要求的作品。 为参加竞赛，提交人应提供关于其工作的下列资料： 作者姓名； 拍摄条件的描述，包含不少于200个符号(拍摄理念、感兴趣的特征、过程的困难、主体的具体行为)； 所用设备的说明(相机型号、镜头、任何其他设备的名称可随意指定)； 拍摄参数(光学曝光、光圈、光敏性等)； 图片中动物的种类。 所需追加经费 作者可提交参赛作品不超过20件。 一张照片只能在一份提名中出示。 比赛不接受宠物和牲畜(猫、狗、老鼠、兔子、羊、马和其他驯养动物)的图像。 获奖者、其他比赛的获奖者可以参加比赛，但不能参加奖品的最终投票。 来自视频的帧不被接受参加比赛。 集中叠加是允许的。 “金龟”摄影比赛技术要求与图像处理规则 “金龟”摄影比赛是一场摄影艺术的竞赛，不是图像处理，所以校正的结果不应改变拍摄的现实，也不应压倒拍摄的真实性。 此外，由于图像处理有一些难以确定的标准，即使采用经典手段，艺术节的技术专家也保留权利，防止艺术品进入决赛，以防这些要求中技术上允许的纠正方法被过度使用。 预览格式提交的图像技术要求 (阶段：艺术品注册、预选赛、半决赛)： 图像格式为JPEG。 尺寸：水平工作-1400像素水平；垂直工程-1400像素垂直。 文件大小不应超过1MB。 图像文件的名称必须与艺术品的名称相对应(例如，作品“黑熊”应保存为Black_bel.jpg)。 要确保正确的颜色再现，必须在保存图像时选择适当的选项将工作配置文件嵌入导出的文件中。 进入决赛后应主办方要求提交的图片的技术要求 (阶段：决赛、专家评估和印刷)： 提供的图像的格式是JPEG(具有最大的压缩质量)，TIFF。 处理后的图像必须附有原始文件，以满足技术专长的需要。 图像文件的名称必须与艺术品的名称相对应(例如，作品“黑熊”应保存为Black_bel.jpg)。 该工作的大小应允许打印至少80x120厘米的大小，分辨率为240 dpi。如果图像大小不足以维持展览尺寸打印的适当质量(80х120厘米)，则不建议使用编辑程序“拉伸”图像。如果艺术品进入决赛，这类处理将在艺术节技术专家的指导下进行。 要确保正确的颜色再现，必须在保存图像时选择适当的选项，将工作区配置文件嵌入导出的文件中。 用JPEG相机拍摄的照片无法进入半决赛。 允许使用编辑程序进行数字图像处理的方法清单： 技术修饰，包括改变曝光，对比度，饱和度，锐度和白平衡。 小背景校正以删除随机物体。例如，提交人在拍摄时未能注意到该外星物体，或者照片是从唯一可能的角度拍摄的，这不允许从框架中移除额外的元素。 种植。这项技术的使用受到“技术要求”第4段所述对最终结果大小的要求的限制。 创造“缝合”全景。所有全景帧必须用同一个镜头拍摄。艺术节的技术专家保留在全景图质量不高的情况下阻止艺术品进入决赛的权利。 创建HDR-文件在视觉上并没有区别于传统的照片。这种方法只允许在复杂场景的拍摄中扩展动态范围。 将图像转换为黑白图像，但须遵守这些要求中所描述的所有规则。 禁止使用编辑程序处理数字图像的方法清单： 图像处理导致了场景中照明本质的根本变化。 创建颜色和/或亮度的对比和关系，不存在于原始图像或现有图像的破坏。 蒙太奇和构图，包括添加、删除、移动对象。 添加额外的图形元素，包括标志、框架、小片段等。 创建HDR-文件的质量缺陷，包括违反全球和本地对比明显的“光环”，比率违规，违反颜色和亮度对比，等等。 生态海报类别 生态问题 野生自然保护 艺术类别 动物肖像 野生动物 报名费 本次比赛免费。 奖项设置 • 照片 每个类别的获胜者将获得1,000 美元的现金奖励。 总冠军将获得2,000 美元的现金奖励。 •生态海报 每个类别的获胜者将获得1,000 美元的现金奖励。 • ART 每个类别的获胜者将获得1,000 美元的现金奖励。 大赛官网： https://www.wncontest.ru/en/