4th Jalón Ángel Photography Awards
The Jalón Ángel Photograph Archive, belonging to Grupo San Valero and guarded by San Jorge University are organising the 4rd Jalón Ángel Photography Awards, in collaboration with the Cultural Activities Services.
Ángel Hilario García de Jalón Hueto (1898-1976), better known as Jalón Angel, was one of the most prominent figures of portraiture photography in Spain during his 50 years of professional career until his death in 1976. This photographer, who had a great social and human impact, began his early training in Logroño and perfected it in the first decade of the twentieth century, first in Lyon and then in Paris. In 1926, he settled in Zaragoza where he combined his most personal and creative photography, specialising in travel and urban and natural landscape, with his portrait work.
His social and Christian concern led him to promote, in 1953, the San Valero Professional School belonging to Grupo San Valero, which gave young people without resources access to working life through proper training.
This award not only aims to honour the memory of Jalón Ángel as a photographer, but also as the founder of Grupo San Valero, a set of institutions for educational and vocational training at different levels and modalities.
Any author (Spanish or foreign) of legal age may participate with an original photograph that has not been awarded in another award during 2017 and until the 27th March 2018.
- The same author may present a maximum of one photograph to each category.
- Entries must belong to one of the following genres:
- Portrait: spontaneous or posed.
- Travel: photographs showing the cultural particularities of a country (including urban and natural landscapes, but do not focus on the human figure as the only, main element).
- The competition entries must comply with the following requirements:
- It may be performed by any photographic procedure.
- It must be submitted in digital format (.jpg, 300 pixels per inch, and with 40cms in the short side).
- It can be in black and white or colour.
- Both chemical and digital retouching must be minimal (lighting, contrast, colour balance) and do not deface the original shot.
- The photographs will not have any element (signature, logo, initials, graphics frames etc.) which may serve to identify the author of the image. If this requirement is not met this photograph will be excluded from the award.
- To participate follow this link: http://www.jalonangel.com/premio/en
- The deadline for submission of entries will be 4th March, 2018 until 23.59 (peninsular Spanish time).
- The following languages are accepted in the registration form and the declaration of authorship:
- By participating, authors guarantee that that they comply with the law on intellectual property and image rights. Therefore, the authors, with their participation confirm that they have obtained the corresponding authorisation from the people and places shown in the presented photographs. The Jalón Ángel Archive and San Jorge University will not be responsible for any claim or dispute made in this regard.
- Participation in this competition includes the transfer within the scope of the competition of the broadcasting and reproduction rights of the work submitted. On no account will the work received be returned. It will be deposited in the archives of the organisation for the further diffusion thereof and/or of the award, always within actions directly related to the Jalón Ángel’s Archive.
- The jury will consist of people with proven track record in the field of photography. This jury will consider the following criteria for its ruling: compliance with these rules, technical quality, creative quality and aesthetic quality of the photographs
- The jury will propose the entries deserving of the prize to the Committee the Jalón Ángel Archive, who will award the prizes. Their decision is final.
- The following prizes will be awarded:
- Award for best photograph in the portrait category. Award amount: 1000 euros, iconic statuette and diploma.
- Award for best photograph in the travel category. Award amount: 1000 euros, iconic statuette and diploma.
- If the jury and the Committee deem it appropriate various acknowledgements (mentions) will be established.
- The jury and/or the Committee can decide to leave the prize void in one or both categories.
- The Jalón Ángel’s Archive will organize a photographic exhibition with the winner photographs, with the mentions and/or with other participant photograph, where possible. For accomplish this the Archive will contact with the photographers.
- The winners of the awards and the date of the official award ceremony will be revealed on 21st March 2018 on the Jalón Ángel’s Archive website (http://www.jalonangel.com), the USJ website (https://www.usj.es) and the USJ Cultural Activities Service (http://actividadesculturales.usj.es). Only the winners will be contacted.
- The organising entity will take the utmost care in managing the entries, but declines all responsibility in case of loss, theft, fire, flood and any other disaster that may occur during the custody of digital copies sent by participants or during the exhibition thereof.
- Participants are informed that personal data provided will become part of a file owned by the San Jorge University whose purpose is the proper management of the 4rd Jalón Ángel Photography Award, and to keep applicants informed electronically of our educational and training proposals as well as events and activities that may be of interest. USJ guarantees the exercise of rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition at the address of the university, Autovía A-23 Zaragoza-Huesca, km. 299, 50830- Villanueva de Gállego (Zaragoza), as well as by email at firstname.lastname@example.org where you can also revoke consent to receive our commercial mail.