Dignified Home Design Competition
This is your challenge, design a sustainable and dignified home for families in developing communities around the world. GRAND PRIZE: $1,000
Submission Deadline :
June 7, 2021 ( 11:59 PM PST )
Grand Prize: $1000
The concept of Home means something different around the world. In some places, it’s an apartment in a tall tower and in others it’s a stucco building by a small road. Whichever option describes your life best, a home should be a dignified place that provides for your needs and supports your future.
The question becomes, why do so few homes do this? Especially in developing communities around the world. How can design be a light for a better life?
At DesignClass we are passionate about exploring how design can have a positive impact on people’s lives. We don’t believe a home has to be fancy or grand but it does have to be safe, uplifting, and purposeful.
This is your challenge, design a sustainable and dignified home for families in developing communities around the world.
The home should utilize local materials, adapt to the local environment, be sized appropriately for families in this community, and should feature an economic space where the family can run a small store or business.
We see this competition as an opportunity to expand your frame of mind and study how people in a different context can live, work, and flourish. Your home may be any size and made of any materials. All we ask is that you make your best attempt to understand the context of the community.
- Choose a community that you want to design a home for. We suggest looking at areas near you with severe economic development needs that could benefit from intentional design-thinking.
- Study how people live in this community and how your home could uplift their lives.
- Design a home that fits in the context, provides space for the family to live, and has a dedicated economic space where the family can operate a small store or business.
Have questions about how to participate?
We created a FAQ at the bottom of this page and this helpful video.
- 3-5 Images, showing your design. You may include plans, diagrams, and renderings.
- Written Description, fewer than 500 words, in English. Tell us about your design and its reasoning.
- No LOGOs in the image.
- Image must be square or 16×9 ratio. Templates provided upon registration.
- Keep text in the images to a minimum. No text is better.
- Image must be in jpg format
- Images must be under 3mb.
Grand Prize: $1,000
All approved submissions will be judged by a panel of anonymous designers. This panel will determine the Grand Prize Winner.
Designer’s Choice Award
All approved submissions will be opened to public voting. This public voting will be live on our blog, goDiscoverDesign.com until June 28 2021. The submission with the most verified votes will be deemed the Designer’s Choice Award winner.
- Submission deadline: June 7, 2021 ( 11:59 PM PST )
- Voting Opens: June 9, 2021
- Voting Closes: June 28, 2021
- Winners announced: June 30, 2021
- All text must be in English
- Must be an original work, created by the submitter
- One design submission per registration
- You may work as an individual or in a group or team
- DesignClass reserves the right to suspend the competition and refund entry fees.
- Participants retain all rights to their submissions.
- Participants grant DesignClass license to publish submissions online and in print.
- Open to anyone from anywhere