The New Garage by Volvo Canada Design Challenge
Volvo Cars is challenging conceptual thinkers, design thought leaders, and ultimately all Canadians to re-imagine the often-neglected garage space which, following stay-at-home conditions, has become a new frontier in design. With the launch of the XC40 Recharge – Volvo’s first pure electric compact SUV – it’s time to re-examine old ways of thinking and create a new garage that brings to life the philosophies of Scandinavian design, livability, and protecting the future of the planet.
The winning submission of the New Garage challenge will be awarded:
- A $2,500 cash prize;
- A promotion in House & Home and Maison & Demeure Magazines;
- The winning New Garage vision will be showcased within the Volvo Car Canada Ltd. footprint at the 2021 Toronto IDS.
How to Enter
Open to design enthusiasts of all levels from professional to amateur across Canada and over the age of 18. Applicants must submit one combined PDF ( maximum file size 20MB ) that showcases their conceptual thinking with the following elements:
- Summarize your concept of the New Garage. ( Max 100 words )
- Describe how your design keeps sustainability top of mind. ( Max 100 words )
- Describe how your concept and design complements the key features of the Volvo XC40 Recharge. ( Max 100 words )
- Mood board showing the look and feel of your design, including material suggestions.
- 1-3 conceptual drawings ( 1:1, 300dpi ) showcasing your concept ( this can be a floor plan, a rendering, a hand-drawn sketch or a private hyperlink to an animation/video ).
Each submission will be judged based on the following criteria:
- The Concept: How original, innovative, and creative is the vision? ( 40% )
- The Design: How sustainable and future-proof is the design? ( 40% )
- The Inspiration: How well does the concept and design complement the key features of the Volvo XC40 Recharge? ( 20% )
Founder and Principal Designer, Campos Studio
An interdisciplinary design studio located in Vancouver, BC focusing on architecture, public art, branding and product design.
Jonathan Sabine & Jessica Nakanishi
Co-founders, MSDS Studio
Toronto based studio which produces design that engages contemporary culture while adhering to the abiding principles of good design and the inheritance of craftsmanship.
Head of Design, Volvo Cars
Based in Gothenburg, Sweden, responsible for running Volvo’s design studio and delivering stunning designs for Volvo that combine Scandinavian luxury with the latest in automotive tech.
A Conversation with the Judges
Why should the garage space be reimagined? Hear what our judges have to say about sustainable design, the future of the garage space, and what they’re looking for in submissions.
Rules & Regulations
Click here to view rules & regulations.
- The New Garage by Volvo Canada Design Challenge – Interior Design Show Toronto
- New Garage Design ChallengeVolvo Cars Canada, in partnership with the Interior Design Show, has launched the New Garage Design Challenge. The Challenge is intended to inspire architecture and interior design enthusiasts of all levels from amateur to professional to reimagine the often-neglected space - which following stay-at-home conditions - is predicted to become the new frontier in design. Entries will be evaluated by renowned architects and designers from across Canada including Kim Pariseau (MTL), Jonathan Sabine and Jessica Nakanishi (ON), Javier Campos (BC), and Volvo Cars’ head of design, Robin Page (Sweden). The winning submission will be brought to life in a very public way at IDS Toronto in 2021 within the Volvo Cars Canada space at the show and will be featured nationally in a 2021 issue of House & Home and Maison & Demeure Magazines. The winner will also receive a $2,500 cash prize from Volvo Cars Canada to encourage pursuit of their design ambitions and further innovation in sustainable design. The deadline for submissions is December 31, 2020. https://toronto.interiordesignshow.com/en/volvo-the-new-garage.html